Getting a strong Pokémon in Pokémon Go typically means evolving it with the appropriate candy. But some Pokémon need special items on top of their usual candy cost to grow into creatures worth taking into raids and battles. Getting these elusive items can be tricky and time-consuming; after all, there’s a dizzying amount of different items required for different Pokémon. It’s both a blessing and a curse that the new Buddy Adventure mechanic won’t see your pet Pokémon bring these back on the odd occasion, as it means there isn’t another convoluted method to take into account on your trips. So with that little nugget of new information out of the way, it’s time to detail how to get special items in Pokémon Go.
Special items explained
So, what are special items in Pokémon Go? Well, as we mentioned, they are items that trainers can use to evolve their Pokémon. Special items are much rarer and harder to find than your typical potion or Ultra Ball. While the generation one games have Pokémon that can evolve from stones like Eevee, that initially wasn’t the case in Pokémon Go as special items weren’t introduced until the release of generation two. Since then, Niantic has continued to add even more special items for players. In fact, new special items were added in September 2019.
List of all special items in Pokémon Go
Here is the full list of all currently available special items:
- Dragon Scale: Evolves Seadra into Kingdra
- King’s Rock: Evolves Poliwhirl into Politoed and Slowpoke into Slowking
- Metal Coat: Evolves Onix into Steelix and Scyther into Scizor
- Sun Stone: Evolves Gloom into Bellossom and Sunkern into Sunflora
- Up Grade: Evolves Porygon into Porygon 2
- Sinnoh Stone: Evolves Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon to Gen 4 evolutions with 100 candy. See the table below for all the Pokémon that presently evolve with the Sinnoh Stone
- Unova Stone: Evolves Gen 5 Pokémon that would otherwise evolve through a stone unavailable in Pokémon GO (like a Thunder Stone)
- Magnetic Lure: Used in place of a regular Poke Stop lure. Allows Pokemon like Magneton and Nosepass to evolve into Magnezone and Probopass when within range
- Mossy Lure: Used in place of a regular Poke Stop lure. Allows Eevee to evolve into Leafeon when within range
- Glacial Lure: Used in place of a regular Poke Stop lure. Allows Eevee to evolve into Glaceon when within range…..Read More>>